Thursday, January 08, 2009

Advice on putting in Disc Golf


Not that I am any kind of expert, but with my blog and YOUTUBE videos I am often asked about Disc Golf tips and techniques. For what it is worth, I would like to share some advice I recently gave one of my YOUTUBE viewers when asked about putting:

Over the years I have stood over many putts and had that nervous feeling when faced with making or missing a putt. What I have learned is not to care about the putt at all. Who cares if it goes in or not just make the mechanics of the putt and let the chips fall where they may.

You have to get your putts to be as natural as if you are walking or driving a car. Think about it, walking is a very complex task yet we don't give a thought to taking step after step. We just let our senses provide the input and allow the mind to work in automatic. The same thing happens for most of what we do when we drive a car. Using those examples, when you putt, let your senses feed your mind and let the mind do everything in automatic. For me now, no matter how much pressure is riding on a putt, it does not bother me at all cause I approach each putt like I take each step and I find I am making more putts because of that mental approach.

Another thought on putting is to throw the putt to the chains as if you are throwing to a little kid that has trouble catching. Put it softly right in his hands.

Let me also add:

Practice, Practice, Practice. Try to Putt everyday if you can even if it is throwing to a tree in the yard. Practice in your mind as well. Visualize and daydream about putting.

I hope that helps your putting game, unless you are playing against me, then don't follow any of my advice :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey now,Practice,practice,great advice Cubby.I walk off 18 steps which gives you a putt distance of 15'I use three putters to get a better feel.trunk putting is another great lunch time practice.
I use tape from the open lid to the tip of car trunk opening for a better idea of basket chains.Watch out for the parked cars on either side of your car.OB's!!Just my two cents for more practice on putting.Peace,hit chains

CDGW-Cubby said...

Mr. Ed, Thanks for sharing your putting practice tips. Unfortunately for me, I have too much Disc Golf stuff in my trunk to use it for practice putting :)

Quixote Kid said...

Nice advice on putting! I like it, putting is definitely my weakness.

- Brad in Texas -

P.S. It was only 80 yesterday...poor me, I had to go out and play 9 rounds yesterday at lunch! ;-)

CDGW-Cubby said...

Brad, Enjoy the weather and all those rounds you are getting to play!