Saturday, June 16, 2007

Dinner and Night Disc Golf

Here we are at Famous Dave's for Ribs!!!!!
Big John and Don came down to the shore to take me out to Dinner to celebrate my recent Ace on Hole 10 at Rutgers. Hole 10 was the only hole I did not have an Ace at Rutgers. During Dinner I showed Big John and Don a new product I received for testing. It is called the "Hole-In One" Flashflight from Playhard, Inc. After Dinner we went up to Rutgers for some Night Disc Golf and to test out the new light. The light is an LED light and it attaches to the disc by putting a hole in the disc and pushing a part of the light device through the hole that locks the light to the disc.


Here we are with our new lights on. They are very bright.

Cubby and Big John attached the lights per the manufacturer instructions (Hole in Disc for attachment). By doing so, you could never use the disc in PDGA tournaments as a perforated flight plate violates the rules of play. For casual Disc Golfers, I am sure putting a hole in the disc won't be a problem. On Don's disc I taped the light to the bottom of the disc using clear duct tape so the disc could be used in the future for PDGA play. I loved the brightness of the lights. The down side for me is placing a hole in your disc. One problem we found was that through the rigors of using the disc on the Disc Golf Course that the light popped out of the disc twice for me and once for Big John after hitting a tree. Another problem is that the light turns off frequently when the disc lands as the ground accuates the on and off mechanism. I will contact the company and give them my feedback. We had our best success with Don's disc. The light was taped to the bottom of his disc with the on and off mechanism surface against the disc. But Don's disc also had the light turn off on a tree impact. For playing catch with a frisbee this product would be perfect for night play. I will keep you posted on updates on this new product.


Here is one of the course skunks.

After Big John and Don left I played some more rounds and got my 205th Ace with the "Hole-In-One" light on my disc.

Cubby's 205 Ace Photo


Cubby's 205th Ace Video



Thanks to the good folks at Playhard, Inc. for sending me some lights for testing. Here is a link to the new light.

http://www.flashflight.com/holeinone/index.shtml

UPDATE (6/21/2007)

I got a call from Jeff at Playhard, Inc. thanking me for testing out the lights. Our testing revealed a problem in production. An unauthorized change was made to the circuit card in the light assembly by the manufacturer and that is causing the problems with the light going out on impact. Jeff told me that considerable thought and engineering was put into the circuit card assembly to account for a disc striking a tree or the ground and that the current lights have a modified circuit board that was not authorized by Palyhard, Inc. Jeff is working to fix the problem. I will keep you posted. I intend on continuing to use my light but will tape it under the disc. I will keep you posted on this product as I think this will be a great product once the circuit card issue is resovlved.

I want to thank Jeff for sending me the product for testing and his genuine interest in my feedback and his desire to make this product the best that it can be.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I got an ace today too. I got my 5th ace on number 5 in Silver Lake, Wisconsin with a Champion Firebird- I guess it is a golden ace. I heard there was a course up there, it is not on the PDGA website, did a little research and found out where it was, and I get an ace on my fifth round. It was not the toughest or longest hole but it ended the ace drought. I was the only one playing the course at the time but a big group of people walking through the park saw me hit and the cheered me on as I walked to the basket. Jason

CDGW-Cubby said...

Jason, Congrats on your 5th Ace on a Hole 5 on your 5th round of that day. And you did it with my favorite Disc a Firebird, sweet! Thanks for letting us knw about your Ace. Pretty cool that we both Ace'd on the same day! Way to go!!!!!

mag said...

Damn Cubby....those Ribs look good. I was hoping I could make it that day (Big John had spoken to me about it) but I had too many end of the year things going on for the girls graduation. Anyway, I hope you guys had a great time and congrats on all of your DG achievements......mag